Tuesday, October 17, 2006

Treo 650 Limitations


Treo 650 Limitations
Originally uploaded by DrChan.

Just as I was singing praises for the Treo 650, I ran into it's limitations. No pda is perfect of course. Here are the limitations that irritated me. Of course these limitations may not be that relevant to you but to me as a power user it does make a difference.

1. Problems copy and pasting. There is a 32kb limitation to the clipboard which is hilarious. I had a long sms I wanted to email to a friend so I tried to copy and paste it. Nope. Exceeded the limit. Tried installing the hacks like Powerclip. Didn't work. Gave up.

2. GPS yes you can but u need a particular Garmin GPS Bluetooth Receiver and the instructions are anyting but Zen. Also it's a memory hog. Runs on my Xda 2s without a hitch.

3. The camera is often too dark and washed out at low light situations. The video recording is choppy even when saved in the main memory.

4. Surfing the web on a square screen just doesn't compare to a landscape or rectangular screen. Also you cannot keep a web page open in the background as the Treo does not multitask.

5. Instant Messaging is possible using Verichat but it isn't free. Msn messenger is in built into the pocket pc and instant messaging is a killer ap. Verichat does a good job keeping me connected to my IM but it does hang and crash sometimes.

6. Memory memory probs. 16mb isn't enough. The palm is fast when apps are in main memory but big apps need to be in a SD card to save space. Execution is laggy and often unstable leading to a soft reset.

7. No Wifi, means that my phone bill goes up as I don't have a flat rate package.

These are my grouses. I still think the Treo is a good smartphone for doctors but it isn't perfect.

3 Comments:

At 12:49 AM, Blogger Dani Iswara said...

Doc, how about sms report on Treo 650? It didn't work on 1.05 ROW.. :(

 
At 1:03 AM, Blogger Doc said...

Hmm not so sure, I never req reports. But I think there is a receipt option but only for mms.

 
At 8:06 AM, Blogger The Yongs said...

Doc,

Can u educate me on how u transform your XDAIIs into a GPS? I'm in KL now and would like to know what hardware to get and what maps to buy... thanks!

my email : andyjk@hotmail.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Health Blog Top Sites