Tuesday, January 22, 2008

M800 Watch Phone Review


If you have never wanted a watch phone, then you definitely aren't a geek! A watch phone certainly scores high geek factor points which will have all the guys(who are like little boys deep down inside..admit it!) clamoring to check it out. So I spent my own hard earned cash to buy a m800 Watch Phone last week. I was looking for a review on the net, and well since there wasn't a comprehensive one, I decided to write one myself. Hopefully it will be helpful to you too.

  • Features:
  • LCD: 1.3 inch TFT 260k Pixels, Resolution:128 x 160p x Touch Screen.
  • Language : English and Chinese
  • Ring Tone : 64 Polyphonic
  • Support format:MP3, MP4, MIDI, WAV, Incoming Ring Tone, Incoming Photo, Incoming movie
  • Music Format : MP3
  • Movie Format : MP4, Full Screen Playback
  • Memory :128 MB
  • Wallpaper : JPG, GIF
  • Notebook : 250 Groups
  • Message : SMS and MMS Supported
  • Switch on/off : User-Defined Supported
  • Alarm : MP3 Alarm
  • Game : Picture Mosaic
  • Other Features :
  • MP3, MP4, Hand Free , Message Group Sent , Voice Take , MMS , Anti Incoming Ring
  • Network : GSM, GPRS, WAP, STK, Bluetooth Supported.
  • Frequency : 900/1800/1900MHz
  • Call Time : About 3 Hours
  • Stand By : About 120 Hours
  • Accessories:
  • Charger
  • Bluetooth Earphone
  • USB cable
  • English user manual


The M800 watch phone is an affordable watch phone that is made in China. You can find it on online stores and I got mine from a reliable seller for about RM550 (About USD 170). The price point itself is quite attractive as a normal mobile phone would cost about the same or more. So how does it look on your wrist?

Next to my Trusty Casio...

Here it is on my slightly chubby but small wrist. The M800 is about the size of a large G-Shock watch, but is actually quite light. The space is mainly due to the large slide in battery at the botom and the 128x160 touchscreen.

The plastic/rubber strap is quite secure and comfortable to use.


The simple black design helps to give it the illusion of being smaller than it actually is in normal day to day use. 2 speakers lie at the top and bottom under the silver design. The speakers are surprisingly loud and clear, but it does distort slightly at maximum volume. But playing Mp4 and Mp3 is pretty impressive...(and guaranteed to attract any gadget loving guy in a 10 meter radius!)

There are a lot of large side buttons which are very useful in getting around the phone. On the left side there are 3 buttons. The top 2 correspond to Up and Down, and the third button below is the OK button. This is very useful in navigating through menus and lists.

On the right side there are 2 buttons and the USB/charging port. The top button is the Green Call Button. The bottom button is the Red Hang Up Button/ Back button. This is also a useful shortcut in starting and ending calls. A little retractable plastic cover protects the USB port from dust.


The M800 is surprisingly versatile and has a lot under the hood. There is 128mb of memory built in, but no slots for additional memory. This allows it to double as a USB flash disc when you plug it into a USB slot. Tapping on the touchscreen brings up the main icon based page which is quite easy to use. There are icons for the phonebook, messaging, call log, settings, multimedia, files, call profiles, calender and internet.

Some things I found useful :
  • the bluetooth settings are found under the internet/web settings.
  • The File Explorer is found under the multimedia icon.
  • To set MP3 as a ringtone you have to select the song under audio player - options -setas ringtone
  • To change to a digital clock, it is under settings-wallpaper
Ah the stylus, is a micro wonder that telescopes out to a finger numbing size. Just pull it out from the side of the strap and ...

Walla..you can now happily poke around the touchscreen on the...

...Super micro on screen keyboard! Actually I found the keyboard to be quite accurate and actually I use my fingernail to tap away! There is handwriting recognition, but it is slow and you have to write each letter individually. This is the main drawback of the M800 or any watch phone, entering data is difficult, but ok for short sms's.

This is a close up of the microphone which is the little hole on the left side of the screen, just beside the chrome plating. This is where you should be speaking! Generally if you do not use the bluetooth headset, you have to engage the handsfree and speak close to the mic. While talking like Dick Tracy is cool, the mic tends to attract a lot of background noise. So it is only practical in a quiet environment. Perhaps Dick Tracy had some noise cancellation technology built into his chin, but a bluetooth headset is essential in getting a good experience with this watchphone.

Which brings be to a gem. The A2DP Bluetooth Stereo headset is an excellent companion to the M800. This headset is included in the M800 package and it is of surprisingly good sound quality. Calls sound clear and static free. And you can listen wirelessly to mp3 songs playing on the M800. A good stereo A2DP bluetooth headset is pretty expensive by itself and it can also be used with your computer or PDA via bluetooth. I use it with my Dopod 838 Pro and it works really well. For your info, the M800 does have an auto answer feature while using the bluetooth headset. It is found under the Headset Profile settings.


The battery lasts 2 days easily and you get a spare battery included. There are little sliding locks at the side to lock in your battery.


The hardest thing I needed to figure out was how to put in my sim card. You have to slide it in from the side and it is a tight fit. The metal band cannot be removed, don't even try! What you can do is ease it in slowly and make sure the metal springs don't get caught in the edse of the sim card.

Here it is sitting snugly inside. The M800 is a triband GSM/GPRS phone, it does not support 3G, but you can use your 3G sim card in it.

Surprisingly the watch function is quite limited to a digital watch as above. I found the numbers too small for my liking.

And the default analog watch. The downside is that the screen switches off after 30 seconds and you have to touch the screen or button to activate the display. This meand you cannot just glance at the watch for the time. This was surprisingly irritating for me.


However you can also run a GIF Animation as your background which is pretty cool. You can download any animated 128x160 GIF file and set it as your wallpaper. Here is my exceedingly cool matrix animation wallpaper! You can get some pretty good free GIF from Red Dodo. Any other 128x160 photo will also make a good wallpaper.

In short :
PROS
  • High Geek Factor, will attract geeky men in a 10 meter radius
  • Good basic phone function
  • Excellent stereo Bluetooth headset makes it a wireless MP3 player
  • Easy to use
  • Affordable
  • Good battery life
CONS
  • Handsfree mode has a lot of static/echo-need to use the supplied Bluetooth headset for best experience.
  • Large size may not be suitable for small hands
  • Data input is tedious for long messages
  • GSM/GPRS only
If you are interested in getting it you can leave me a message and I can put you in contact with the seller.

I will be posting another review on another cam phone soon! The M700...


Camera Watch Phone
Originally uploaded by docfiles.

I am just finishing up my m800 watch phone review, but am now trying out another model. This one has a 1.3MP camera and 512mb MicroSd.

If you are interested you can contact the seller :

Suhaimi Isa
Al Insyirah Electronics
32 Lintang Ilmu 1, Taman Ilmu
14300 Nibong Tebal Penang
Tel 60146358869

His Online Webpage


45 Comments:

At 7:29 PM, Blogger Palmdoc said...

Dick Tracey! Yeah!!

 
At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would like to get my hands on the M800. If u could please send me seller's info or info on how to get one to Thespot4@yahoo.com

 
At 12:53 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Can you use any softwares to Sync contacts to it?

 
At 1:55 PM, Blogger ABB Russia said...

nice review!

 
At 2:02 AM, Blogger kengyong said...

Hi all, i'm distributor for watch phone M700 and M800 at malaysia. Feel free to contact us at is.advance@gmail.com.

We have ready stock and we are able to show you the sample face to face before you place order. Thx

kevin

 
At 1:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yea doc - u r rite about the geek factor - a real crowd puller man! Thnks 4 d review Doc!

 
At 10:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great review, thanks!

 
At 8:25 AM, Blogger cyberbillp said...

Do you know how to use DUN in the M800? I can't find it in the menus.

 
At 2:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey, you can get the $800 for $159 with free shipping coupon "FreeShipPhones03" at this website:
www.cellphoneslord.com

 
At 1:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How can you use a 3g sim card in it if it does not support it? We purchased this phone and have a 3g sim card. We can not set up the network settings - and currently can not make or receive calls.

 
At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

do you buy change know how the phone works? i was also woundering how it would work in US.

1) does this phone have wireless internet ?
2) how does the phone work? is it voip? Can i make a call with this watch phone?
3) i will be willing to buy one if it is wireless capable and can actually dial a phone call and receive one.

please let me know. my email : rayamajhia@hotmail.com

thanks

ray

 
At 2:16 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

does it have a camera?

 
At 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, i just bought the watch but it's locked, any apps to unlock the M800, please..?????
my email: kahuit@gmail.com

 
At 6:11 AM, Blogger manhattanplayer said...

Hello' I've just bought an A2DP haed set not like the one in the package, but I can't activate the headset profile in the watch it just goes to the bluetooth setting is there a reason for this?

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger manhattanplayer said...

Okay, I see that the A2DP stereo adapter only works with the audio side of the phone, if that is the case......that sucks greatly, because I'd like to play my vids and hear them through the A2dp. let me know anyone if I'm wrong about this.

 
At 8:13 PM, Blogger cyberbillp said...

That's my experience too. It really blows.

All things considered tho, I'm not going to watch movies on my wrist anyways.

 
At 12:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i don't know how to make its gprs work work.should i use gsm, gsm/gprs, or gprs setting?

i figured out how to receive mms messages but i never managed to make the browser work.

plz email me at mithraradiant@gmail.com

 
At 10:40 AM, Blogger cyberbillp said...

Your settings depend on your carrier.

You go to GPRS and edit one of the carriers in there and set it up for your carrier. I changed #1 into TMobile.

It seems I had to create a profile somewhere to use that carrier, but I can't find it now.

Anyways, once it's setup, you can connect via bluetooth with your laptop or pda. I can't get the wap browser to work.

 
At 6:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

finally i found a good review.i just bought a watch phone with 1.3mp camera for my hubby.(it was me actually the geek,but my wrist too small for it).so bought for hubby instead.just to satisfy myself.LOL.i'm stil eyeing the one that for ladies ,but the price still high 1000USD!!.have to wait for it lower the price.
p/s: i bought the hubby watch phone for 120AUSD.Yay! :P

 
At 2:09 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

I have an Oakley Iroc Blue tooth headset. It works great with the phone. I also have the problem with the audio not playing threw blue tooth when playing videos. Thou I did notice that recorded videos from the camera seem to work. Perhaps the reason video files do not play back threw bluetooth is the file/codec settings. Any thoughts on this?

 
At 9:28 AM, Blogger cyberbillp said...

What camera?

 
At 7:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I just got my M800 an cant figure out how to play the mp3 thru the bluetooth headphones, can anyone help?
Also in the book it says something about a vibrate sign does this phone have vibrate function? and if so how do you turn it on?

 
At 4:00 PM, Blogger Doc said...

The M800 does not have a vibration function. The M815 does.

To listen to music through bt, open the audio player. Go to settings, turn bluetooth headset on.

 
At 12:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Doc! I am located in the United States? Do you have any idea if this watch phone will work here? IF not, do you know of any that will? I have been searching EVERYWHERE for one that says it can work here! Grrr Help me out man! Thanks ;)

Anthony

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

if u put a 3G card do u have 3 GB?in the phone

 
At 9:24 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This phone ONLY works with T Mobil in the United States. You can NOT use a 3G sim card from AT&T.

 
At 12:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm using the m815 on AT&T's nework in the US, via a 3g SIM. Works great.

 
At 11:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whats up I got the M800 and lost the USB to charge it. Ive been looking everywhere and can not find the USB anywhere. I need some help. Bangloose@gmail.com thanks!

 
At 4:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do i import songs from my apple ibook to the m800?

 
At 9:40 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

just got mine weeks ago..i just love it :)
ony thing i cant seem to get my mms working (digi)...
gprs is just fine..
anyone help?

 
At 3:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have the M810, and can't get to hear my video or audio files through the supplied headset, although I can hear to make and receive calls with it. This is really frustrating! I could hear the audio files that came already stored!!!!

 
At 2:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there---got my new M800---great watch---but I cant seem to get the MP3 to play-----HEELP

 
At 6:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey!! I got it to work:D:D!!
you have to move your audio files to Audio player in the multimedia section, via 'file manager'. When I have got used to it, and remember the sequence, i will post instructions here. I guess they are all mostly the same;)

 
At 2:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

mine is m810..so far all is ok just got 2 quiry...help me to solve if anybody know...pleeaazzz...
1.how to set incoming video when receiving call?
2.what the factory preset security phone lock..thanks..

 
At 8:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The phone lock security number is 1122
Nick

 
At 1:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey really great review, I am thinking about getting a watch phone and from the research that I've done, I'm thinking of getting the Phenom ONE in a red. Saw it and fell in love, but i'm just hoping for feedback on the mp3 and mp4 player or the call quality. i checked out the site (http://www.PhenomWatchPhone.com) and so far its physically PERFECT for me. So would love some feedback! send me a mail at indie1111@gmail.com ....THANKS!!!

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC REVIEW thanks for that i think i just bort one off you on ebay or the place you bort yours.

 
At 9:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi i wonder if you can help me im having problems geting the MP3 files play wirlessly can you tell me how to do it plz ? you can send a reply to my e mail address: samgrees@hotmail.com thanks all the best sam.

 
At 5:29 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

is this avaliable in the uk reply plz cplaskitt95@hotmail.co.uk

 
At 7:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The M810 model. I can't get imported vidoeos to playnthe Audio through the Blue Tooth headset I tried to find out why, by recording something with the inbuilt video camera, storing it , and then sending it to my laptop. When I did that, the laptop siad the fie was 'Windows video', not AVI or anything else. I guess therefore that this 'audio' playing problem is something to do with the format of the video we are sending to the watchphone which plays the video,but the audio goes to the built-.in speakers...whch are useless, IMHO;)

 
At 10:43 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Question: Can it be used as a SIP phone ?

 
At 12:43 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Im wondering how the network works on this. Is it a monthly payment? Does it have to be on a brand network? Could you give me some info about this?
Email- C13Christopher.Brooks@usafa.edu

 
At 10:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi I've just received an M800 watch phone from my daughter, here in the U.S. my network is T-Mobile, I finally received a USB cable for it and got it charged, but it comes up with a window saying enter the lock code, I have no user manual for this, and have read some of the remarks some guys wrote here of a code 1122 that is a default code, yet it does not work. Does anyone know the code for the M800, and where I can get a manual for this watch? Appreciate your commets, my e-mail is edut36@gmail.com, thanks in advance for your help

 
At 2:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have teh same problem as "anonymous" before.. i tried code 1122 and 1234 and nothing happend... watches are still locked. Please let me know any ideas to brano007(a)volny.cz. Thanx so mhuch!

 
At 4:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

please I don't know how to activate my handsfree bluethooth... please help where are the options for activate ? please help

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Health Blog Top Sites