Thursday, September 08, 2005

First Aid : Jellyfish Stings


OK I just wrote up a summary of how to treat Jellyfish Stings at my fishing blog:
Jellyfish Stings

But here are the salient points:
Take Home Message
1. Prevention is Better Than Cure
2. Get out of the water.
3. Pour vinegar over the area to prevent the nematocysts firing
4. Remove all tentacles using sand,cloth,seaweed etc
5. Wash the area with fresh water or salt water
6. Put Ice (In a cloth or Plastic Bag) over the sting to relieve pain
7. Seek Medical Attention

I like this comment...LOL!

Q. Does urinating on jellyfish stings help?

No. At best, this common folk remedy does nothing. At worst, it can fire undischarged stinging cells and make the sting worse.
When my doctor heard about our jellyfish study he said, "Great. I hope you tell people to stop urinating on every cut and sting they get in the ocean."

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Health Blog Top Sites