Thursday, December 01, 2005

First Do No Harm...by Inaction

Recently there has been a sad case where a young man died in a private hospital following a laceration/stab wound, compounded by delayed treatment because there was nobody to pay the downpayment. I was reading about it in Screenshots and a lot of people are appalled that sometimes $$$ come before treatment.
I believe that as doctors, we would naturally access the situation first and should provide critical life saving treatment if needed.
This is similar to a case a few years ago where 2 gunshot injury victims were asked to go to GH as they were in a critical status. Luckily for them, they both survived. Not so lucky for this young man who was trying to help another.

Anyway ever since medical school, we were taught that the onus is on the doctor to provide life saving treatment, and to withhold treatment is actually a form of negligence.
However I admit that many times when I witness an accident, I didn't stop because of the great inconvenience it would cause. If I saw that the people involved already had help, or were just lightly injured, or beyond help, I would probably go my own way. Still there are times that we should and must intervene.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Health Blog Top Sites