Monday, September 24, 2007

GPS Speed Sentry HUD (Heads Up Display)

One of the coolest things I can do with my Dopod 838 Pro is to use it as a Heads Up Display in my car. Using GPS Speed Sentry it can mirror the image and reflect it onto your windscreen at night. Doesn't work during the day though, but is supercool at night.





During the day I connect it to my bluetooth GPS unit and my pda holder. It shows the speed and distance, elevation, compass direction. You can set the speed alarm to warn you if you are over the limit.

At night you can place the pda on the dashboard and the reflection will me shown on your windscreen. There image is transparent but clear enough to make out the speed easily. I place the pda on a non slip mat towards the left lower windscreen.

Although it looks like a double image, the big digital numbers are all you need to see.

The close up image is quite clear, but you can adjust it for the best effect.


The image hovers on your windscreen showing the speed clearly. Here I am at 32kmh. It's pretty hard to take a good picture while the car is moving.

Still alive at 58kmh. The best thing about a HUD is that you do not have to look down at the dashboard to check your speed. The transparent floating image is just a glance away.

Going round the curve at 49kmh.

All in all a pretty cool thing to use your GPS pda for. Enjoy!

5 Comments:

At 3:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How do you get the image to reverse on the PPC so it is correct on the widscreen?

 
At 4:53 PM, Blogger Doc said...

GPS Speed Sentry as a mirror option in the settings.

 
At 12:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Doesn't it "eat" a lot of your battery usage?

 
At 10:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cool stuff. I guess you can charge the phone from the cigarette lighter. There are also GPS speed hud's on Amazon. I've got one and it has a display film to get rid of the double-image problem.

 
At 7:32 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Powered by Blogger

Health Blog Top Sites